What Makes A Good Vinyl Window?
What Are Quality Vinyl Windows?
How to Spot Quality Vinyl Double Hung Windows
As you probably know by now, different types of windows offer varying levels of quality and performance. When it comes to vinyl double hung windows, you know quality when you see it. Basically, you just have to look for those that are well-designed. A well-designed vinyl double hung window is energy-efficient, strong and durable. It willallow very little air to get out of your home and last for a very long time. But how do you know that one is well-designed? Here are some helpful guidelines to help you out:
- Interlocks: Its sashes should interlock with each other and the window frame. This construction offers a strong barrier against air infiltration.
- Reinforced meeting rails: Go for non-metal reinforcements as they can offer maximum strength and remarkable thermal performance, the latter significantly minimizing cold transfer. We use Soft-Lite’s non-metal K-Beam™ on our Elements and Imperial LS windows although we also offer metal reinforcements in some of our window lines in case you want them.
- Foam filled frame and sashes: There is a very good reason why vinyl windows perform better than others in terms of energy efficiency. Their multiple chambers,into which the foam insulation or stick foam is injected, do not only provide added strength, but will likewise enablethem to rank high on energy performance.
- Weather-stripping: Look for windows with more than enough quality weather-stripping used around their sashes. These units are guaranteed to keep air infiltration at a minimum.
- Welded Corners: Look for double hungs with corner joints that are welded together instead of mechanically joined. Compared to the latter, the former can offer total resistance against air infiltration and won’t weaken or create gaps over time.
- Insulated Glass: Aside from the frame construction and design, give just as much importance to the type and number of glass panes used in your double hung windows. These can help determine the overall performance of the units. To fully meet your energy requirements at home, we have 23 different variations of insulated glasswhich you can choose from for your double hung windows.
Can’t decide which window to get for your home? Contact Zen Windows Cincinnati today and we’ll guide you towards making the right choice.